Monday, 20 July 2026

July DT Project 2 for Country View Crafts and Challenges - Holidays

Hello there,

I’m back with my second DT post for July, for Country View Crafts and Challenges on Facebook. I’m hosting the theme for July and I’ve chosen ‘Holidays’ - this can be any kind of Holiday - think Summer, Winter, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th July etc. 

The challenge is open worldwide and you can join the group here where you will find information on how to enter:
There’s a fabulous £20 voucher to be won for a randomly selected winner. 

Many years ago, during my travelling days, I was lucky enough to visit multiple game reserves in Africa. These were the best times of my life by far and I loved seeing the Game in their native homes. 

Therefore, for my second project, I’ve chosen to feature my holidays visiting those game reserves, and what craft dies are more perfect to use than the Tim Holtz Sizzix Colorize animals. 

I decided to create a scene in my large Dylusions Journal to see Tim’s gorgeous Colorize animals in their habitat. 

On a double page blank spread, I laid out the largest die of each animal to see which sizes I’d use for the make. I chose all the large ones and then a mini Winifred to accompany the larger Winifred. I decided against doing a ‘mini me’ Bernice as I felt the scene had enough animals in it. That’s why it’s always good to ‘prospect the page’ before starting. 


I coloured the top half of a double page spread by blending Distress Inks Squeezed Lemonade, Spiced Marmalade, Barn Door and Lumberjack Plaid for a lovely Savana sunset. 
For the ground I used Distress Ink Antique Linen stippled over with some Gathered Twigs using a sponge. I also created a ‘watering hole’ for the animals and blended the Distress Spray Stain Walnut Stain with a water brush the horizon and watering hole. 


I splattered the background with water, dried, and then on the ground I splattered with a fan brush some watered down Distress Spray Stain Walnut Stain. I added some glossy accents to the watering hole and left to dry. 

I die cut 3 of the Tim Holtz Sizzix Funky Trees 665217 as I thought they’d be a suitable Savana looking tree and made them so they were just top heavy to emulate the African Acacia trees. I only used the more angular tree style die for these and cut a few extra foliage bits to fill out the tops. 


Next I settled down to make to my animals. 
I used all the large Colorise dies for Harrison, Bernice, Gertrude, Clarence, Gladys and Winifred. I made a ‘mini me’ Winifred too, to accompany her ‘mum’.


For Clarence, I used the Ranger Cracked Leather card, following Tim Holtz’s method to colour this with Distress Spray Stains Hickory Smoke, Pumice Stone and Lost Shadow. 
You can see how Tim made this here: 


Please note, the small size Distress Cracked Leather Cardstock is too small for the largest Clarence die, so I cut out some from the larger sheet to make my background with. 


I then die cut Clarence out of the prepared card and assembled him. He looks awesome!! 
I continued making up the animals one by one using various coloured and textured card. 
For each one I edged each component with Distress Archival Black Soot before assembling. 



For Harrison I used some one-sided velvet type card that I had - I only had a small piece and I die cut it the wrong side which is why he’s looking in the other direction. But it works as he’s keeping an eye on Bernice coming out of the watering hole. 


From an older die Tim Holtz Sizzix Traveler Words Thin 661803, I cut out the words DISCOVER THE WORLD in white card and backed this onto black card, for my banner and then I die cut the aeroplane from another older die Tim Holtz Sizzix City Commute 661809 to pull my banner.  To finish my line up of animals I die cut some of the deer in 2 different colours (to act as antelope) from Tim Holtz Sizzix Darling Deer 664968.


I added markings to the deer (antelope) to look like Grants and Thomson’s Gazelle. 


Finally I assembled my scene with some elements lifted with 3D foam squares to create some depth. And here is the finished spread...




I have absolutely loved making this. I always worried that the Colorize dies were too complicated and intricate for me, but with the help of the Colorize Step Out (Stages of Assembly) on the Sizzix website on each die listing, it made assembly a breeze. 

I hope you’ve enjoyed seeing my project come together. It was quite an ambitious make for me as there were a lot of components and steps. Thank you for stopping by my blog, it means a lot to me that people take the time to look. 

And don’t forget to join in our challenge on Facebook to win that £20 voucher. It finishes at the end of the month. 

Have a great day
Hugs
Carol
Xx

Products used:
(If anything is out of stock you can always contact Brenda at Country View Crafts to see if she can order it in for you, and she ships overseas too). 

Tim Holtz Sizzix Winifred Mini Colorize 667218

Tim Holtz Sizzix Winifred Colorize 664430

Tim Holtz Sizzix Harrison Colorize 665218

Tim Holtz Sizzix Clarence Colorize 664428

Tim Holtz Sizzix Gertrude Colorize 664429

Tim Holtz Sizzix Bernice Colorize 665366

Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Inks

Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Spray Stains

Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Paint

Tim Holtz Ranger Distress Archival Ink

Ranger Inkssentials Glossy Accents

Dylusions Creative Journal (out of stock)

Tim Holtz Distress Cracked Leather Cardstock (not in stock)
Tim Holtz Sizzix Gladys Colorize 665851 (not in stock)
Tim Holtz Sizzix City Commute 661809 (not in stock)
Tim Holtz Sizzix Traveler Words Thin 661803 (not in stock)
Tim Holtz Sizzix Funky Trees 665217 (not in stock)
Tim Holtz Sizzix Darling Deer 664968 (not in stock)

No comments:

Post a Comment

August - DT Project 1 for Country View Crafts and Challenges - Monochrome

Hello, Happy August!  Here I am with my first DT post for August, for Country View Crafts and Challenges on Facebook.  The theme for this mo...